Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mini-Project # 3


Even though I spend eight months out of the year down here in sunny Florida, I am originally from and will always consider myself a true New Yorker. I was born and raised on Long Island and that is my true home. When I first thought about the question of what kind of endangered animals found within 100 miles of my home, I honestly didn't really know of any. After doing some thorough research, I've come to a very different conclusion. Within 100 miles of my South Merrick home, there are two very particular birds that are considered to be endangered animals. They are the Piping Plover (Charadrius Melodus) and the Long Island Colonial Waterbird. The Long Island Field Office coordinates with its private and public partners in providing equipment to help the recovery of the endangered species. They also work hard to make some recovery actions to support the piping plovers with the Federal, State, and local governments, private organizations and landowners. One major thing the office assists with is the Long Island Colonial Waterbird and Piping Plover Survey. They also install special fencing that protects breeding areas and nest exclosures to protects the nests of these birds. They most importantly pay sharp attention to the people around and make sure they take necessary actions to anything or anyone who may hurt these birds. After researching all about these birds I've realized how important it is to truly take after our beautiful world!

No comments: